how to generate /usr/share/locale/en_US/LC_MESSAGES/glib20.mo

I am compiling the glib2-2.58.3 version. I see that /usr/share/locale/en_US/LC_MESSAGES/glib20.mo is getting generated , could you please help me on how to generate that file.

The build process should generate those files for you, no more manual steps should be required.

But if you want generate the mo file yourself, use the binary “msgfmt” from gettext (should probably be installed in your system). One can do it manually by running:

$ msgfmt -co outputfile.mo inputfile.po

where inputfile is the correct name of the po file from the source code for the desired language, and outputfile is the filename you want to save to.

Please notice that the po file (Portable Object) is a text file in gettext standard containing translation, and the mo file (Machine Object) is its binary version.

For more detailed info, I recommend taking a look at “msgfmt --help”, the GNU gettext Manual, and GNOME Translation Project wiki pages ( wiki.gnome.org/TranslationProject/ )

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.