How to build and install Shotwell in ubuntu 20.04

I’m trying to install the latest build of Shotwell v 0.30.12 in ubuntu but get an error after trying to use it after installation. After building using Ninja I tried to install using the following command…
sudo ninja -C build install

The above command does not print any errors.
The error I get when typing “shotwell” on the terminal is:
$ shotwell
shotwell: error while loading shared libraries: libshotwell-plugin-dev-1.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

The only way I can get it to run is if I fully qualify the path to shotwell’s build directory. But “shotwell” in /usr/local/bin/shotwell fails to run and spits out the above error.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me install this correctly in Ubuntu 20.04

On a side note, the documentation for building and installation should be updated to clearly specify that it may not install correctly if your distribution is ubuntu. Ubuntu is arguably the largest desktop user market for Shotwell so we should at least warn them that it won’t work just following the official build and install instructions.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.