How can I setup a developing environment for developing gnome shell extension?

Hi.
I try, I try, I try and I try more I can’t find a good start to learn developing anything on this platform :frowning: Help me.

I want to improve a gnome shell extension. I read the code, I can understand what it does. I can’t start adding my own without reading, trying and debugging for several hours for each 10-20 lines.

I don’t have a developing environment. I don’t know which IDE or code editor I should use. It seems gnome developers are so cool that us vi for code editing and doesn’t understand newbies like me :sob: :sob:

How can I have a good developing environment, with code suggestion and completion and everything. Is it even possible?

You can read the gjs docs to get started. You also need to know a little bit JavaScript.

For editor, you can use GNOME Builder but there isn’t any code completion for ui atm.

1 Like

I know more than a little bit javascript. I read gjs docs (almost completely).

Gnome builder doesn’t even have code formatting :smiling_face_with_tear:. It’s a pain coding there.

GNOME Builder supports ESLint. As stated in the review guidelines using GNOME Shell ESLint rules is recommended. You can also use additional tools like Prettier.

2 Likes

Thank you, these will be so helpful​:pray:t3::heart:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.