GTK4 flatpak apps all have buggy layouts when overriding env GTK_THEME=Adwaita-dark

All GTK4 apps look out of whack as flatpaks when using the GTK_THEME=Adwaita-dark override.

Screenshot from 2023-03-14 04-49-17

1 Like

Are you overriding the GTK_THEME environment variable or setting the theme with some other method?

Yes, GTK_THEME=Adwaita-dark. But this happens without overriding anything too. Before I add that override, the apps still look like this, just lighter.

1 Like

That shouldn’t be the case. If you don’t set GTK_THEME at all, what does it look like?

Dark style works differently with libadwaita, and you don’t need to override the theme to set it.

Hm, you’re right. If I do sudo flatpak override --unset-env=GTK_THEME, the problem disappears. It appears I’ve been setting that variable in a setup script I had. The problem is now that all GTK3 apps are light, and the solution you find all over the web says to override the GTK_THEME environment variable.

Is there a way to set a dark theme for all GTK3 apps, or do we have to do that on a per-application basis?

There is a standard dark preference, file issues in apps to support it. It doesn’t care what toolkit the app is using.

GTK_THEME is a debugging variable, it was never a supported way to make apps dark.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.