Gnome shortcut key to move window to next monitor

Hi there!

I have two monitors, and a Evoluent mouse with five buttons. I always program the third button to quickly move the active window to the next monitor. Since I haven’t found a way to do this with Gnome mouse options, I use the input remapper, and associate that button with the keyboard shortcut META+SHIFT+LEFT KEY. And this works well.

The problem is that this works only to move windows from right to left, and not from left to right. For this I would need a shortcut to move the window to the next monitor, so the same button/shortcut would work to move the windows between monitors. But I haven’t found this shortcut key.

Could you please help? Or if there is a better way to accomplish, I’m all ears :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Best,

José

1 Like

You can try the Custom Hot Corners - Extended extension which offers custom mouse and keyboard shortcuts for the Move Window to Next Monitor action.

You can get the current shortcut in the Gnome Settings and then do your custom remapping.
The default in Fedora is Shift+Super+Page Down

Or alternatively you can check from terminal
gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.wm.keybindings move-to-workspace-right

Is it included in the normal Ubuntu installation or do I have to install it? And will I be able to map that action to a mouse button?

I’m looking into input remapper, and I see it accepts code. Maybe I can create a small script to first detect the monitor in which I am and then depending on that information, either move the window to the monitor on the left or on the right.

I don’t want to change workspace. I want to stay in the same workspace, only to move a window from one monitor to the other in the same workspace, so that will not work for my case. But thanks for the tip on how to customize shortcuts!

It’s an extension that I’m developing, available here: CHC-E - Custom Hot Corners - Extended - GNOME Shell Extensions. CHC-E allows you to set corner or edge of any monitor to react on mouse buttons, scroll wheel and “pressure” (hot corner/edge) to trigger an action you choose. It also allows you to set a keyboard shortcuts for actions that are not available in default GNOME, but not directly map actions to mouse buttons.

So it’s the same, but these shortcuts

1 Like

Hi, Gabriel,

The problem is that there is one shortcut to move the monitor to the left and another to move the monitor to the right. So I would need two mouse buttons to move a window between my two monitors. And what I wanted is a way to use the same button to toggle between the two movements (from left to right and right to left). That’s why I was looking for a shortcut “move to next monitor”, which would cycle the window from one monitor to the other.

Any other ideas?

You can try installing the Just Perfection extension and activate the wraparound option in the Behavior tab

Thanks, Gabriel! I’m gonna try it!

I managed to do it with the extension CHC-E - Custom Hot Corners - Extended - GNOME Shell Extensions, by GdH. I defined a shortcut key for “Move Window to Next Monitor” in Windows - Relocations. And then I passed that key to Input Remapper. And it’s working great.

Thanks everyone for the help!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.