Gnome-shell animation performance drops dramatically under 20% battery life

Fedora 31, gnome-shell 3.34.2, mutter 3.34.2, Wayland

I have a Dell XPS 9370, containing a integrated UHD 620, a i7 8550U and 16GB RAM. Normally, my animations in gnome are perfectly fine and not laggy, expect when my battery life drops under 20%. Then, the animation performance get super bad.
As I am chasing this problem for over 6 months already, I checked nearly all Intel power saving features (including automatic disabling of turbo, automatic lowering of the maximum CPU frequency…) and read a lot of documentation about their registers but nothing seem to change on this side under 20% battery life remaining.

Therefore, I decided to generate to sysprof capture, one with under 20% battery life and one with over 20% battery life. As I am not able to upload those files here, I added screenshots for now (if there is any way to upload the complete sysprof files, please let me know):

Under 20% battery life remaining:

Over 20% battery life remaining:

Those were generated the following way:

1. Have a terminal, sysprof, libreoffice-calc and g-c-c open
  2. Trigger the icon spring animation three times (~first 12 seconds)
  3. Trigger the window overview animation three times (~next 10 seconds)
  4. Scroll two time form the first workspace in the animation overview to the second and back (~next 10 seconds

The only thing which is really outstanding for me, is the additional time spend with I/O operations in the under 20% battery life case. Even though I don’t really understand why the gnome-shell does that amount of I/O, this goes together with the fact that gnome-shell also gets very laggy for me under a lot of I/O load.

So, does anybody have an idea what is going on here and how to potentially fix it?

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.