Gnome need a option about total data usage over ethernet and over wifi

this is a very important feature for those who use limited data cap like 1000gb or 2000gb per month having a counter like android have it helps calculate how much data i have used in last day or so and if it have a better view like which app used how much it will be awesome.
what others thought on this help me and so i will make a feature request. and if others want top help they can.

There is already the data cap for mobile networks in the mockups (network/network-settings.png · master · Teams / Design / settings-mockups · GitLab). I see no reason not to have it for other connections.

I think you should look into the statistics stuff that systemd offers. Basically, we would need to enable that system wide and also within the user to collect the data.

I suspect, you want to set DefaultIPAccounting= system wide, and also (systemd-system.conf and possibly systemd-user.conf). I am not sure whether accounting works within the user, which we would need to resolve the information per-application.

And, if that works, one would need a small utility that collects the statistics and stores them between application runs/boots. Which will need to run both system wide and per-user.

1 Like

we already does this on system monitor we need to retain and make it into maybe in settings so it can easily seen like android does.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.