Gnome-calls not hearing sound

i’m trying to use gnome-calls to performe phone calls with an usb attached ZTE 253v modem, when i dial a number the phone rings in the destination and the call starts but the sound is not working: i cant hear the one i called and he cant hear me. why is this happening and how to fix it?

system details:
Operating System: Manjaro Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 6.0.3
KDE Frameworks Version: 6.1.0
Qt Version: 6.7.0
Kernel Version: 6.9.0-rc4-1-MANJARO (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: Wayland
Processors: 4 × Intel® Core™ i5-6300U CPU @ 2.40GHz
Memory: 11,6 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 520
Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
Product Name: Latitude 7480

Hello :wave: It’s not just you experiencing call issues. This has been a common problem in the area of Linux mobile, although I see you are running calls on desktop using a USB modem, so your case wouldn’t exactly be mobile but it is still similar software.

Detail for Pinephone / Pinephone Pro readers

If anyone from the future is reading this topic:

If you are using a Pinephone / Pinephone Pro, you should be able to get it to work, but the microphone may be really weak and barely get to the other side, although still “usable.”

Sometimes the ‘weak’ output is mixed with a strong noise.
Pine Phone Pro audio on phone calls: discussion, support and tips

From previous experience, I have seen that the issue comes from using the wrong version of PulseAudio (or using a PA drop-in replacement like Pipewire). The Danctnix Arch Linux ARM distribution for the Pinephone fixed this by downgrading their repository’ PulseAudio package version to 16.1.7, as it is the latest officially supported by callaudiod.

As the issue mentions, you actually don’t have to downgrade if you just manually switch the audio profile yourself via GNOME settings under audio, but downgrading will allow callaudiod to do this switch for you automatically.

This is just from my personal experience with Linux mobile, but since you are on desktop it could be a different issue, although likely is the same issue as this one. Hopefully this helps! :smile:

1 Like

I’m using KDE. to which profile should i switch?
edit: i change from manjaro-pulse to manjaro-pipewire but nothing seems to be changed

when gnoem-calls is opened i try to change the sound options from kde sound settings: applications: but the gnome-calls is not shown there