GNOME Boxes - Change RAM of existing virtual machine

Hi,

when I setup a new virtual machine with GNOME Boxes I can define the RAM and max. disk size. But it seems like afterwards I can’t change it, when I go to the settings all these options are disabled:

I can only adjust the number of CPUs. Is there really no way to adjust the other parameters afterwards?

Thanks!
Björn

1 Like

I’m wondering the same thing.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

We disable changing these settings for Live images, since these changes require a reboot to apply. Rebooting a VM while it is installing can lead to various errors. See https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-boxes/commit/59dbcc59474652253ccf99e77f7f26b99dde82ae

Are these VMs installed or just Live images? Besides, what’s the gnome-boxes --version ?

1 Like

Thanks, this explains it. Indeed, once I removed the live image I could change this values. But I’m still a bit surprised. I understand that you don’t want to allow to change this values on a running system. But once the VM is shutdown it shouldn’t matter if it contain a live image or a installed system. I would expect that I can always change it on a shutdown VM.

I will perform some tests to see whether we can change this behavior. My concern is that you might boot a live image and perform an installation with certain memory/storage values, and then, after changing it in the properties, the OS does a first-boot that does some finish-ups on the installation. Will most systems work if the specs change in the between? I will have to verify. :slight_smile: