GNOME 47.beta Released

Hello,

GNOME 47.beta is now available. It also marks the start of the UI, feature and API freezes (collectively known as The Freeze). If you’d like to target the GNOME 47 platform, this is the best time to start testing your apps or shell extensions.

This installer image is meant to be installed in a virtual machine with EFI support (such as the GNOME Boxes version available on Flathub). You can also try to install it on bare metal.

WARNING! This is beta quality software. This release is intended for GNOME developers and beta testers. For more information about the 47 release, the full schedule, the official module lists and the proposed module lists, please see our schedule page .

Cheers,
GNOME Release Team

10 Likes

Kudos to @akitouni for doing the vast majority of the release engineering for the Beta.

5 Likes

I wish it shipped with an image viewer and a music file tagger by default… I can see that the issue with that is file association, so is there a way to make gnome ship with a discerner view that appears when clicking on files so that you can tell it to open files with like an audio player using a sandbox method… like dragging the file to the left of the screen to open it with rhythm box and dragging it to the right of the screen with ear tagger? And then also can it have an airdrop zone to send it to our phones or someone else at the top of the bar? How did apple come up with the notch airdrop feature notchnook but gnome hasn’t…

Loupe is in the core.

That’s a rather niche feature and doesn’t belong in the core.

loupe is broken on my system…
Peek 2024-08-31 16-27
also the window list gnome shell extension has hard to read text so i fixed it and uploaded it, bc the dock on gnome doesn’t have a minimize function…

I’ll try reinstalling it.

This is not the ideal place for reporting bugs, please consult GNOME’s issue reporting guidelines :slightly_smiling_face:

A post was split to a new topic: Issues with GNOME 46