Gimp, IRC and Matrix

I recently registered to GIMPNet IRC (irc.gimp.org) because I wanted to contribute to GIMP’s UI. However I don’t feel comfortable using IRC without a cloak.

I asked for a cloak on irc.gimp.org > #opers and was told they do not offer cloaks.

Then I read IRC, Matrix, and thanks for all the kicks and tried to join GIMPNet on Matrix, specifically, I joined https://matrix.to/#/#gimp:gnome.org

However it seems the messages I send on Matrix are not reaching the IRC network, plus the Matrix channel description “GIMP 3.0.8 is available” seems outdated, as the IRC description has “GIMP 3.2.6 is available”.

I am a bit confused. I’d really appreciate some help.

Then I read IRC, Matrix, and thanks for all the kicks and tried to join GIMPNet on Matrix, specifically, I joined https://matrix.to/#/#gimp:gnome.org

That thread linked is from 2021. The bridge between IRC and Matrix does not exist anymore since 2024: Issue #321: IRC <-> Matrix bridge doesn't exist currently. (e32529cb) · Commits · Infrastructure / gimp-web · GitLab

There is no fix for that. I do recommend to use others channels ( GIMP - Discuss ), like Discourse you are using.

The bridge is indeed long gone. It was not us who were maintaining it and none from the team is interested in maintaining such a bridge to this day. So there is not much we can do. :confused:

This being said, when we used to have the bridge, it was also creating a lot of problems (over-messaging from the bridge polluting the logs IIRC; and a lot of spam coming from Matrix). So well, it’s hard to find a good balance here.

To really interact with developers though, IRC is the one channel. You have some devs loosely using some other channels (some are indeed on Discourse, I think; some are on Matrix…), but really it’s IRC where everyone is at.

I don’t really see a way around that. :person_shrugging:

Ah that’s a good example showing how the Matrix channel is really forsaken by core team members. :sweat_smile:

Anyway I fixed this Matrix channel description for the time being at least.

What would it take for the IRC network to offer autocloaking (or cloaks upon request)? Otherwise I don’t think I’ll be able to join development, as this is a big deal breaker for me, unfortunately :frowning:

on the gimp irc netowrk you can do /mode yournick +x
to enable cloaking after you connect (and before you join any channel).

See Cloaking - UnrealIRCd documentation wiki

1 Like

When doing that, I get:

Setting/removing of usermode(s) ‘x’ has been disabled.

try irc.gimp.ca maybe - it’s working here for me, or seems to be (i am demib0y on IRC)

1 Like

Yes, that works! Thank you :smiley: