Fedora 36 Rawhide Gnome 42.alpha Question

I installed Fedora 35 and upgraded to Fedora 36 Rawhide. In the settings About info it shows Gnome Version is 42.alpha. Does that mean I’m running Gnome OS 42.alpha? Sorry if this is the wrong forum to ask. Just confused.

thanks…

No - Fedora is a distinct distro entirely separate from GNOME OS. You’re running Fedora Rawhide, which usually ships the latest development releases of components.

1 Like

Chris

Thanks so much for taking a minute to reply. I understand what you mean. Not sure why I’m not able to get Gnome OS alpha.2 installed. I’ve tried a great number of times to get it running in Boxes. I install from Flathub and use Gnome OS from the official site. I was told I need an UEFI build of Boxes, but every time I’m only getting 41.1 or 41.2. I’m not a Linux expert but know my way around. Just puzzled as to why I’m not able to get it going. I also run Debian Sid and briefly got it going until I did a reinstall. Anxiously waiting for Beta, but have never compiled from source.

Hello Joseph. Running GNOME 42.alpha doesn’t mean that all components of the desktop are already 42.alpha. To get a rough idea, I’m running openSUSE GNOME Next, which at this moment contains pretty much all 42.alpha components that have been released by GNOME maintainers/developers:

luc14n0 (~) ♫♩ rpm -qa --qf "%{NAME}-%{VERSION}\n" | grep -E '42.(alpha|beta)'
gnome-alpha-beta.txt
yelp-xsl-42.beta
gnome-shell-calendar-42.alpha
gnome-software-42.beta
gnome-shell-42.alpha
gnome-shell-search-provider-gnome-clocks-42.beta
nautilus-42.beta
libgnome-desktop-3-19-42.alpha.1
gnome-shell-classic-42.alpha
gnome-version-42.alpha.1
gnome-disk-utility-42.beta
gnome-maps-42.beta
gnome-weather-42.alpha
gnome-system-monitor-42.alpha
gnome-characters-42.beta
gnome-clocks-42.beta
gnome-contacts-42.alpha
gnome-shell-extensions-common-42.alpha
gnome-extensions-42.alpha
libyelp0-42.beta
gnome-shell-search-provider-epiphany-42.beta
gnome-builder-42.alpha1
gnote-42.alpha
baobab-42.alpha
gnome-builder-doc-42.alpha1
gsettings-desktop-schemas-42.beta
gnome-shell-search-provider-contacts-42.alpha
gnome-settings-daemon-42.beta
gnome-calculator-42.beta
epiphany-42.beta
gnome-font-viewer-42.beta
gnome-shell-search-provider-gnome-weather-42.alpha
gnome-shell-search-provider-gnome-calculator-42.beta
mutter-42.alpha
libgnome-desktop-3_0-common-42.alpha.1
typelib-1_0-GnomeDesktop-4_0-42.alpha.1
gnome-sound-recorder-42.beta
gnome-shell-search-provider-nautilus-42.beta
gnome-shell-search-provider-gnome-characters-42.beta
libnautilus-extension1-42.beta
eog-42.beta
yelp-42.beta
typelib-1_0-GnomeDesktop-3_0-42.alpha.1
libgnome-desktop-4-1-42.alpha.1
gnome-chess-42.alpha
luc14n0 (~) ♫♩ rpm -qa --qf "%{NAME}-%{VERSION}\n" | grep -E '42.(alpha|beta)' | wc -l

But keep in mind that we had some 41.x releases took place in our GNOME Next development project. And that’s because we like to update everything, as much as possible, in GNOME Next, be it stable or development releases. The stable versions get forwarded to our stable development project, while development versions only live in GNOME Next. Well, sometimes, even development versions can get forwarded to our stable development project if they are behaving nicely enough :grin:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.