Feature Requests

Hi all, thanks for your great work. I would like to request a few features found in other media players, which I believe would enhance RhythmBox immensely. Cheers.

Summary of requests:
* A neat, elegant way to browse my music collection by genre then by album
* An option to include album art in the listings
* A ‘Random’ selection of albums
* An option to stop the playlist deleting items after they play
* Ability to remember the layout as it was when it last closed, specifically the width of columns in the playlist and podcast browser

Probable Result:
A quantum leap in the usefulness & desirability of RB, probably blowing all other players into the dust, cementing it’s place at the pinnacle of audio media players.

Motivation, Background & Comparisons:
I recently installed Cinnamon Mint and am now using RB as my player. I like that it’s slick, fast & light on resources. The interface isn’t cluttered with chrome & whistles which suits me fine. I’m here for the meal, not the decor.

Overall, I find it’s great for online radio stations and for podcasts. Maybe it’s me, but for music it’s pretty awful.
Here’s why: The problem is the amount of music I have. It’s huge. I have it all organised into genres, which helps immensely. If I can select by genre. Of course, it’s all in albums, which is my preferred way to listen: just chuck another 5-6 albums onto the playlist.

By contrast, the best interface to my music was the Kodi web interface (The web interface, not the main one ). I had it installed on a Pi connected to my NAS where the music was stored. I then browsed it from my desktop via Firefox. Anyway, the browser page had a section for Recently Played Albums & another for Random Albums. The Random section was a daily delight, helping me rediscover what was buried in the archives. Also the listings showed the covers, of which I’m a big fan. If I could figure out how to have that interface to my music again I would not be writing this.

One interface that came close was the KDE Amarok, in that you could choose how your music was listed. Mine was obviously by Genre > Album > Track. The browser listings are collapsible - just what I want: Browse your genre, then browse your albums. Sadly, the interface comes with a muddy blue background that makes it all look alien vomit, & album covers are anathema to The Wolf. Still.

Anyway, that’s my 2c worth. Cheers.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.