Feature: Enable users to sort file contents before comparing

Lately, I have been using meld for comparing large lists of items with differences. The order of the items doesn’t matter at all and all what was needed it to find what’s in list A and not in list B. As far as know (from searching on the internet and glimpsing over the source code), there’s no such feature that allows the user to sort the content before comparing (I had to run the files through $ sort first to get what I needed).
Considering the utility of sorting content before comparison in meld, do you think it’s a good idea to invest time and effort into implementing this feature, and would the maintainers likely find it valuable for the user community?

1 Like

You’re right that this feature doesn’t exist currently. It’s been requested before and I don’t think it’s a bad idea. However, my position has always been that this isn’t something that makes sense for most users, which makes it a good candidate for a very simple plugin… but we don’t yet have a plugin system. Adding plugins has been on the cards for a long time, but there hasn’t been much progress.

1 Like

So, it would be better to just wait until the plugin system gets introduced then we can have the sorting functionality? If I implemented it into meld itself it won’t be merged?

Yes, it’s pretty unlikely I’d merge that. I get why some people want this, but to me it’s just too niche to have its own default menu item, etc.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.