Evolution new GUI

Hi , I don’t know if this is the right place, but I have to say that I really do not like the new buttons on the headerbar, and especially all the stuff moved around, like for deleting the message etc…
I have no idea if this is only on my machine due to the theme or is it thought like this.

I use Evolution for a long time for my daily job, and the change was really as a negative surprise. It will take some time to get used to it surely.

I there maybe a way to get the old UI back ?

I am talking about the new version 3.46.1 which came as a surprise with F37 upgrade.

3 Likes

Hi,
please see for example this thread:
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2022-November/msg00048.html

Bye,
Milan
2 Likes

Hi Milan, many thanks,

gsettings set org.gnome.evolution.shell use-header-bar false

did the trick.

I have nothing against moving further, but there are some things really wired with that kind of setup. For example the delete message button now is all on the left in my setup, would be much better and intuitive to to have it in the message pane itself. I use the 3 division in mail, so I have all my folders on the left, in the middle there are message headers and on the right I have the opened message itself. Its really annoying to go for each message on the top left side with the pointer to delete a message. Its probably just my case, but before I have the delete button over the opened message.

Then the real strange thing is having same menus in the buttons in the header bar, and then a menu line below the header bar.

It seems like a WIP thingy to me.

Rgds
Sasa

1 Like

Hi,
you are looking for:

Bye,
Milan
1 Like

Many thanks Milan, I am happy to see I am not alone. I will try to further experiment with the new UI and if I can get some nice idea i will report.

I can confirm that it works for me with

gsettings set org.gnome.evolution.shell use-header-bar false

with evolution 3.46.1.

Best,

1 Like

The new GUI makes more sense if the remaining pieces of the puzzle get solved, so that it can behave as a well-integrated whole. Here are three things that would likely constitute significant improvements:

With those, the new GUI would be closer to its true potential and I’m fairly confident it would be much more convincing for those who have had an adverse reaction to the current state of the GUI that was introduced in Evolution 3.46.x.

If anyone here has programming proficiencies, I’m sure Milan would be very happy to get some help on those remaining issues :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi, I agree nearly on all, but I think one of the problems with the buttons in the header bar is that they will have to be always divided, due to the name of the program in the middle.
This looks ok if you have one or 2 buttons in the header bar. But if you get 4 of them like Evolution have, then the thing is horrible in my personal opinion. And I get to ask now, why not eliminate the program name from the header bar in Gnome and have it in any case only in the top panel bar near the top left activities corner ?
In that way would have more space and could arrange better the menu buttons and icons.

I think one of the problems with the buttons in the header bar is that they will have to be always divided, due to the name of the program in the middle. This looks ok if you have one or 2 buttons in the header bar. But if you get 4 of them like Evolution have, then the thing is horrible in my personal opinion.

Hmm I dunno, I haven’t found it to be a problem in practice even on a laptop screen and pretty long folder names…

And I get to ask now, why not eliminate the program name from the header bar in Gnome and have it in any case only in the top panel bar near the top left activities corner ?

Interesting question. I don’t think I’d be against it (if that space is actually used for something else), as I’m not sure how truly needed it is to show the folder name and unread count in the headerbar when they’re selected in the sidebar anyway (unless the sidebar is disabled…).

Some applications (like GNOME Calendar, GNote, Dialect, Nautilus, Console, GTG) already do this, they don’t show an a particular window title, they use the whole area for widgets instead.

Also, in my opinion there’s another thing that would make a lot of sense with the new UI… a floating statusbar using GtkOverlay to save even more vertical space, like Nautilus 43 does when you finish an operation such as copying or deleting files. However, Milan didn’t seem overly excited with the idea 3 years ago; maybe in the context of the new UI, and by trying out the new Nautilus, this perception might be different today?

To be honest is just a bit strange to have the buttons and then something in the middle written like program name, and again have it written in the top left corner near the activities. At the end this program name in the header bar does nothing, its nothing useful at all, also because you know that you are usind Evolution. Nautilus is a nice example you mention. Also, why not using the top bar menu as a file menu for general use things in Evolution, like we have now a File menu ? I am using it exclusively on a laptop, but either way its just useless if you have a program name in the middle of the header bar with buttons. IMHO you know that you are using Evolution as a mail program, so no need that the program tells you what it is.

Hi,
when there is enabled the header bar there is no program name in the
title, there’s only the selected folder name and the unread count, if
there are any unread messages in that selected folder. Some users do
use the unread count in the title bar indirectly, as it is repeated in
the windows list, thus they can easy check whether a new message
arrived int he selected folder without switching to the application
(new mail notifications can be overlooked or even disabled).

With the header bar turned off the program name is still there in the
title bar (also because it was the standard for many apps and because
there’s plenty of space).

There is added a menu button into the header bar when the menu bar is
disabled (and the header bar is enabled, aka when there are buttons
shown in the title bar).

That being said, if I understand it correctly, the things work as you
want them now (3.46.2).
Bye,
Milan

Blockquote
Hi,
when there is enabled the header bar there is no program name in the
title, there’s only the selected folder name and the unread count, if
there are any unread messages in that selected folder.

Hi Milan, sorry, but I didnt noticed it. Will try it more in the future and I get back with some suggestions if I notice anything else.
I just used the new design maybe one day. then searched on how to get rid of it.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.