Evolution backspace and delete issues

Hi All,
After an upgrade to Rocky 8.9 the backspace and delete key behave incorrectly in evolution. It only appears to impact evolution.
If I type
abcdef and press backspace 3x when my cursor to the right of the “f” I am left with the string bdf
If I type
abcdef and press delete 3x when my cursor to the left of the “a” I am left with the string ace
The version of evolution is 3.28.5 (3.28.5-22.el8)

I upgraded another PC to Rocky 8.9 and erroneous behaviour has appeared on this system as well.

Any advice would be welcome.

Hi, there is a bug report for this.

Thanks for pointing this out.
However either not many people are using evolution of RHEL 8.9 as there seems to be scant information about this on the internet in general.
The workaround is to downgrade the following packages
sudo dnf downgrade webkit2gtk3-2.38.5-1.el8_8.3.x86_64.rpm webkit2gtk3-jsc-2.38.5-1.el8_8.3.x86_64.rpm
Currently there is no fix. I will leave this open until a fix becomes available.

Hopefully this will happen in the near future.

As an aside search engines appear to be far more efficient at parsing information from a mailling list format compared to web based repositories.
For instance searching for " Evolution - Composer: Cursor jumps over characters when using backspace or delete" which is the title of the bug report results in nothing.

Currently there is no fix. I will leave this open until a fix becomes
available.
Hopefully this will happen in the near future.

Hi,

honestly, Evolution 3.28.5 is ancient, you do not get any support here,
I’m sorry. This forum is for the current Evolution, as hosted in the
GNOME infrastructure, which means 3.50.x series. It’s your distribution
to provide the fix, when they chose to provide users with outdated
Evolution (but recent WebKitGTK). Just for an idea how much ancient the
Evolution the distribution of your choice provides, it had been
released on 2018-07-30, more than 5 years ago. That’s a lot of time
with a lot of development being done in the project, not only
Evolution, but overall in the distribution.

As an aside search engines appear to be far more efficient at parsing
information from a mailling list format compared to web based
repositories.

Ah, that’s sad. Not much the project developers can do about it too,
unfortunately, because the choice of the web apps being used is up to
the infrastructure team (or some such), not of the respective projects.

Bye,
Milan

Yes I understand that it’s old however sometime people need to use the version which distros provide. That’s just the world we live in.
And yes I understand that I could have contacted the distro provider, which I did and got no answer. I’ll now also answer my post there.
So I posted here and received direction to a solution (thanks Michael) which is as it should be.
I then posted a solution to the issue so other people might have a change to solve the issue if it happened to them.

Your post, while it might have made you feel a little better wasn’t really useful.

Kind Regards

Ian

Your post, while it might have made you feel a little better wasn’t really useful.

Ouch… no, it really did not make me feel any better, no no no, I’m sorry.

The comment was meant to outline differences between upstream and downstream, counting in limited manpower (usually on both sides, unfortunately).

Thank you!
I thought I didn’t find some sort of a language/font preference that could set this.

As for the old version mentioned below… it’s a shame, the shame of RH with its most outdated distro.