Evolution 3.48.0 - WebKitWebProcess Error generated when launching Evolution from a Menu icon; Launch from CLI with additional export commands functions

Evolution 3.48.0 - WebKitWebProcess Error generated when launching Evolution from a Menu icon; Launch from CLI with additional export commands functions

Evolution
3.48.0 (by Flathub.org)

Zorin OS 15.3, 18.04 LTS

I have another machine running Zorin OS 15.3, 18.04 LTS with Evolution 3.46.4 which does not exhibit this issue. The issue only occurred on the affected machine after I updated Evolution on it to 3.48.0 today (April 5, 2023).

When launching Evolution from a menu icon, the following error message is displayed:

"Something has gone wrong when displaying the message

A WebKitWebProcess crashed when displaying the message. You can try again by moving to another message and back. If the issue persists, please file a bug report in GNOME GitLab."

Uninstall and reinstall of Flatpak Evolution via the GNOME Software application - issue persists.

Reboot after uninstall and reinstall of Evolution - issue persists

I see that this issue had been addressed previously:

The resolution provided from the above link:

"Just in case, if you start Evolution from a command line as:

flatpak run org.gnome.Evolution

then you do before it this way:

export WEBKIT_FORCE_SANDBOX=0
export WEBKIT_DISABLE_COMPOSITING_MODE=1

to have the environment variables properly set."

Launching Evolution from CLI using the above recommendation, the issue persists and I see the following:

"** (evolution.bin:26): WARNING **: 13:37:22.781: Failed to canonicalize path /home/mainadmin/.var/app/org.gnome.Evolution/data/evolution/preview-plugins: No such file or directory

** (evolution.bin:26): CRITICAL **: 13:37:22.781: Attempted to add disallowed path to sandbox: /home/mainadmin/.var/app/org.gnome.Evolution/data/evolution/preview-plugins

** (evolution.bin:26): WARNING **: 13:37:22.784: WEBKIT_FORCE_SANDBOX no longer allows disabling the sandbox. Use WEBKIT_DISABLE_SANDBOX_THIS_IS_DANGEROUS=1 instead."

I used the following in CLI:

export WEBKIT_DISABLE_SANDBOX_THIS_IS_DANGEROUS=1

This RESOLVES the issue - Evolution now launches appropriately with no error in the GUI. CLI reports the following:

mainadmin@Zorin:~$ export WEBKIT_DISABLE_SANDBOX_THIS_IS_DANGEROUS=1
mainadmin@Zorin:~$ export WEBKIT_DISABLE_COMPOSITING_MODE=1
mainadmin@Zorin:~$ flatpak run org.gnome.Evolution
Gtk-Message: 14:19:58.017: Failed to load module “canberra-gtk-module”
Gtk-Message: 14:19:58.018: Failed to load module “canberra-gtk-module”
Gtk-Message: 14:19:58.174: Failed to load module “canberra-gtk-module”
Gtk-Message: 14:19:58.174: Failed to load module “canberra-gtk-module”

** (evolution.bin:26): WARNING **: 14:19:58.589: Failed to canonicalize path /home/mainadmin/.var/app/org.gnome.Evolution/data/evolution/preview-plugins: No such file or directory

** (evolution.bin:26): CRITICAL **: 14:19:58.589: Attempted to add disallowed path to sandbox: /home/mainadmin/.var/app/org.gnome.Evolution/data/evolution/preview-plugins
Gtk-Message: 14:19:58.672: Failed to load module “canberra-gtk-module”
Gtk-Message: 14:19:58.673: Failed to load module “canberra-gtk-module”

The issue persists if I exclude the export commands in CLI, using only the following:

So, I cannot launch Evolution from a Menu icon - if I do so, I get the WebKitWebProcess error message.

Command associated with the Evolution Menu icon is:

/usr/bin/flatpak run --branch=stable --arch=x86_64 --command=evolution --file-forwarding org.gnome.Evolution @@u %U @@

The only way I can launch Evolution is to launch it via CLI with the export commands.

Any assistance on how to resolve this issue for Evolution 3.48.0 so I may launch Evolution from a menu icon without using the listed commands in the CLI to launch it would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

do you need both of those exports or only one of them is needed,
please?

Any assistance on how to resolve this issue for Evolution 3.48.0…

It’s not a problem with the Evolution, but with the WebKitGTK, somehow.
You have multiple options here, being it a new shortcut, or add the
needed exports either to /etc/environment or better to ~/.bashrc ,
which will influence the whole system for the user (or all of the
users), but I think it’ll be for good.
Bye,
Milan

Uh, needless to say, I don’t recommend globally adding environment variables with DANGEROUS in the name.

Are you the same person from WebKitWebProcess crashed Evolution 3.48.0 (flathub) (#2304) · Issues · GNOME / evolution · GitLab? If so, let’s stick to your bug report. If not, please comment there so we can work with you too.

I am not the same person. As directed, I will commented at the provided link. Interestingly, reading over that link, I see the other affected person is also running Zorin 15.3 - so we have that in common, aside from using and experiencing an issue in Evolution 3.48.0.

Greetings,

After testing, I only need the following to get this to function:

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.