Errror with a GIMP file

Hello, I need some assistance please and I can’t seem to find a way to contact Support. Today I tried opening GIMP 2.10.12 and I received and error message which reads: Gimp Message there was an error parsing the menu definition from image-menu.xml: failed to open file “d:program files/gimp2/share/gimp/2.0/menus/image-menu.xml”:input/output error

I don’t know how to fix this problem. Should I uninstall GIMP and re-install it? If I do, will I lose all of my art projects? I am desperately seeking some help.

[this was answered by uzu on Discord and resolved by a reinstall]

2 Likes

Elizabeth,

This image-menu.xml file is what GIMP uses to create the menus on sees on opening the application. I checked and one cannot simply remove this file (hoping that GIMP will recreate one from defaults stored in the application) since renaming or removing the file results in no menus in GIMP. Nor was I able to locate a version of this file available on GIMP sources you can download.

I have version 2.10.28 running on Linux (and not Windows) and cannot know if the image-menu.xml file for this version is different from the image-menu.xml file for your 2.10.12. This said, one test you can do before deleting and reinstalling, is to replace the image-menu.xml file GIMP currently produces an error attempting to open with the image-menu.xml file from my install. Here is a Dropbox link to that file you can use to download it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/woqp14jxvdmk677/image-menu.xml?dl=0

The error you report shows you that the “bad” file is in the folder “C:/Program Files/gimp2/share/gimp/2.0/menus/” - use Windows Explorer to go to this folder, rename the “bad” file (e.g., image-menu.xml.old), then put the image-menu.xml file that Dropbox link lets you download in the same place. Give GIMP a restart and hopefully the error ceases and you have working menus.

If this does not work, then you may indeed need to uninstall/reinstall, unless some other person on these forums can offer other options/suggestions.

You should not have any issues with your images or art projects because of this error. It is unrelated to images you might have been working on.

Regards.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.