Emoji Menu Feedback

I’m not sure about you guys, but this menu is pretty unusable when opened on a text field not near the top of the screen. It can’t be moved by any means and is hard locked to the position of the mouse cursor.

Also apparently despite opening when using Discord, emojis can’t actually be inserted? That’s weird, works other places.

This doesn’t seem to be the GTK emoji picker at all.

This is how it actually looks.

Screenshot from 2021-05-05 06-10-50-cropped

3 Likes

The screen shot from the OP seems to br the Emoji popup a user can open with Control-Shift-E followed by a space.

The GTK emoji selector—which is the one you bring up with Ctrl+Shift+e is the one @alatiera posted; the one from the OP seems to be something custom to Discord.

It’s not discord, in fact Ctrl+Shift+e in the message box doesn’t seem to do anything

Looks more like a KDE ibus thing to me

It’s not Discord. Discord has its own picker.
Here’s what it looks like when I use ctrl-shift-e in Chrome:

I apologize if this isn’t actually a Gnome thing, I had assumed it was, because it’s bound to the hotkey sequence.

I get a different one if I use the right click menu (the only place I can find the right click menu that gives the emoji picker is the file explorer window, which is the one place I probably don’t need it). I believe this one is coming from Ubuntu; one media limit, bleg.

upload://w6YfQH7IIAF8odZWjV1pRgeVGxb.png

No KDE, just plain ibus - it’s ibus-ui-emojier and despite the odd styling in OP’s screenshot (and general odd design) it’s actually using gtk

1 Like

Probably just my UI theme. It’s supposed to make things look more like Windows (which I have to suffer using at work), so I like better than the default that shipped with Pop!OS, which is itself customized from Ubuntu AFAIK.

Yes, Ibus has some unfortunate UIs that don’t fit well into the rest of the desktop.

If you prefer the GTK Emoji chooser, it is available with Ctrl-. or Ctrl-;

Neither of those hotkeys does a durned thing outside of a very very small set of applications I use (only one I’ve found is File Explorer). If it doesn’t work in Chrome, it’s basically useless.

Neither of those hotkeys does a durned thing outside of a very very small set of applications I use (only one I’ve found is File Explorer). If it doesn’t work in Chrome, it’s basically useless.

They work in any GtkEntry. Given that this thread is happening in the GTK category, that seems somewhat relevant.

As for chrome: there’s more than a thousand people working on chrome, but none of them are listening to your complaints here.

That’s great and all, but not helpful, as it is not a viable alternative. It’s great and all that it works in any GtkEntry, but as most of my applications aren’t that doesn’t solve my problem. Telling me to go tell Chrome to fix Chrome to be a GtkEntry is similarly useless. We both know they won’t. And going through that same pointless exercise for dozens of applications? Yeah no.

If the menu I came here about isn’t a Gnome menu, that’s fine, but I have no idea what system generated it in order to go complain to the right folks. Just point me in the right direction if you can.

As @zbrown told you already, it’s provided by IBus.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.