Email usage of discourse - threading

I (and others from Evolution mailing list) are trying to get to grips with using discourse in a mailing list type way.

One thing I’ve noticed is that the threading information on the emails doesn’t seem to be working. None of the message IDs in the References: header match up with other emails from the topic. I would expect a reply to at least mention the message ID from the messages it’s replying to, but it doesn’t seem to.

Things are made more complex in that I don’t seem to be notified about my own posts - so that any threads that I reply to are essentially broken.

The only consistent threading reference is to the original topic - i.e. <topic/xxxxx@discourse.gnome.org> so at least the specific topic seems to stay together - but even that breaks occasionally.

Does anyone seriously use Discourse exclusively by email?

P.

1 Like

When you are posting from the website you are not notified to the messages you are posting by default. To change that, you can do the following:

• Expand your profile in the navigation section.
  • Navigate to Preferences → Preferences → Emails.
  • In the email settings look for the setting Email me when I am quoted, replied to, my @username is mentioned, or when there is new activity in my watched categories, tags or topics and change it From Only when away to Always.

Edit: It turns out I was wrong and own postings are not delivered by email even after performing these steps. I apologize for giving out inaccurate instructions. I don’t know if there is a way around this.

I have all the settings set to “Always”. But I still don’t get notified about my own posts.

On the mailing list if I send a message to the list, I get my own post like any other message to the mailing list. However with Discourse I don’t seem to get a copy, or I can’t see where to turn on a “Send a notification for your own posts” setting. I understand that this sort of thing doesn’t make sense if you are using it as a Forum, but if the user is trying to mimic a mailing list, it is important to also receive your own posts so that things like threading are maintained.

You need to enable “Mailing List Mode” at the bottom of https://discourse.gnome.org/my/preferences/emails to get your own replies emailed to you.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.