Disabling search providers

Is there a way to temporarily blacklist a search provider if it keeps crashing ( GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply ) more often ?

E.g. the following crash in GNOME Notes.

In Settings you can enable and disable search providers.

In Settings you can enable and disable search providers.

I have already disabled it.

I am just asking to temporarily disable sending requests to the "crashing search provider" at the software level, so normal desktop users don’t face this issue. Normal users might not know how search works. They just search.

(I think it makes more sense to create a new thread for new topics, otherwise this becomes a catch-all for anything related to desktop search.)

The Shell does not know if a search provider crashed: it only knows if the method returns after a timeout. Ostensibly, getting a timeout from a service is a good indication that something happened, and the Shell could add the search providers to a blocklist, but it’s hard to communicate to the user that something has happened, and that they should do something about it.

Not sure what’s the best way here. Couple of ideas.

1. We can blacklist the app, but don’t need to inform the user. A crashing app doesn’t provide results anyway. At least, we can avoid generating coredumps and opening bug reporting software on machines where they are enabled.

2. We can blacklist the app, and list the offending App(s) in the search results as below:

App 1 Search result 1
    Search result 2
    Search result 3
    App 2 Search result 1
    Search result 2
    App 3 (crashing app) Search disabled due to xyz
    App 4 Search result 1
    Search result 2

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.