Disabling file saving via dconf

Hello, everyone,

I’ve been attempting to disable file saving on my system using Dconf, guided by the instructions found here: Disable file saving.

After implementing the recommended settings, I logged off and back in, then conducted some tests with gedit. Surprisingly, I was still able to save files as if no changes had been made. I’m aware that not every application may adhere to the disable-save-to-disk setting, but I expected that gedit, being a native editor, would comply.

To confirm the setting was applied, I checked the flag with the following command:

gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.lockdown disable-save-to-disk

It returned true, indicating the setting is active.

Here are my questions:

1. Am I overlooking something in the setup process?
  2. Which applications are known to work with this setting? Specifically, are there any native or third-party applications that I should test to verify the functionality of this lockdown feature?
  3. Is there an alternative method to globally disable file saving on disk that is independent of the application being used?

I appreciate any insights or suggestions you can provide. Thank you in advance for your help.

1 Like

gedit removed the support for the lockdown GSettings several years ago, see:

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.