Devhelp uses lot of memory for what it actually does

I frequently face this issue where, if I open API documentation in few tabs in "Devhelp", the memory usage shoots up considerably. All this just for rendering simple markup pages. I guess this is due to the "WebKit-Gtk" backend which it uses to render the webpages.

Is there any way to reduce the memory footprint of "Devhelp" ?

“What it actually does” is rendering HTML, in the same way your browser renders HTML. There’s CSS, JavaScript, and a document model. So: no, short of not rendering HTML, there’s not much DevHelp can do.

Well, WebKit uses a huge amount of memory compared to, say, Chromium or Firefox. In theory, Devhelp could switch to using one of those. But that would be a huge amount of work and is extremely unlikely.

I think @chergert has actually been working on getting rid of the HTML altogether? Is that true?

1 Like

No. Christian is working on a simpler implementation than the current libdevhelp/devhelp one.

There’s no point in dropping HTML support when all the API references generated by GNOME projects are HTML pages.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.