Decrypting or importing old keyring

I am migrating from one machine to another. On the new machine I have already created and started using a user account, and populating the keyring, but I realize that I forgot to migrate over my passwords from my old keyring. No problem, I have a backup from my old machine, which has a ~/.local/share/keyrings/login.keyring; I just need to import that into my new one.

Except I can find no functionality for doing so. Not in the Seahorse UI, man gnome-keyring, man gnome-keyring-3, man secret-tool.

This seems like some pretty basic functionality; why can’t I just import an old keyring file? Am I missing something obvious?

Unfortunately not no, there are some workarounds though using secret-tool: Impossible to export and import passwords afterwards in an identical manner (#38) · Issues · GNOME / libsecret · GitLab

In the exact same situation as OP. Bummer…

As a workaround, you can use more than one keyring, e.g. rename the new one to new.keyring and restore the old one as login.keyring, then relogin to apply the changes.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.