Debian 12 with Gnome 43 issues with Orca screen reader and keyboard shortcut for Gnome apps

Hello,

I installed Debian 12 from a DVD image and chosed Gnome for the desktop system. If I’m not mistaken, Genome version 43 should be installed on my system.

Since I’m almost blind, I use the Orca screen reader that comes with it. Since I can’t work with the mouse, I have to use the key combinations to operate most programs.

To see a list of keyboard shortcuts for each program, I navigate to the program’s primary menu and select Keyboard Shortcuts. A help window will then open, showing the key combinations for the respective program. I have included an example of this window as an image in the appendix.

Unfortunately, Orca cannot read the list of keyboard shortcuts.

so i wanted to ask if there is a way to have orca read these shortcuts to me or maybe the list of shortcuts is stored in a config file that i can open from the terminal.

I would be very happy about help.

Thank you,

Tom

Hello,
I don’t have solution to the question for most of the apps, however I know this has been addressed in GTK4 in 4.12. So some Gnome 44 apps such as gnome calculator should have this window keyboard accessible.

Greetings

Peter

2 Likes

Many thanks for the answer.

This means that I should install GNOME 44 on Debian 12 to be able to read at least some of these help pages. As far as I know, GNOME is not in Debian’s stable repositories. That’s why I wanted to ask whether GNOME 44 runs reasonably securely and stably on Debian 12.

If not, does somebody know a way to locate the configuration files that store the shortcuts for apps?