Date Formats in Nautilus

Column on the left is “Modified” and on the right is “Modified - Time”. Happy to enter a bug for this.

1 Like

I agree, seconds aren’t generally desirable. I have had situations where I needed to know the seconds, but rarely. Still, if there was a Locale that defined the time format, and Files followed it, then people could have what they wanted.

Please do, I can fix that

Bug reported.
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/nautilus/-/issues/2291

1 Like

I just realized that this isn’t even true. Anything done “yesterday” will bump the size out by the addition of “yesterday”. So Today’s will be the shortest (time only) then huge on things done yesterday, then small again for things the day before (dayname/time), then on to (day/month/time).

1 Like

It’s just one word, so it’s shorter.

I would have written “narrower” if I meant the width in pixels.

My turn to not be sure whether you’re trolling or joking.

• The time is written as one word, and “yesterday” is one (longer) word… so by word count it doesn’t increase when it gets older.
  • Parsing the time in your brain you’ll read it as two to three words (thirteen twenty-four, eleven twenty, etc.), so by that metric they get shorter as they get older.

Let’s just say that except for the use of words like “yesterday” and “mon” (an even shorter word for an older time) that the date field gets visually longer as you go back farther in time. That’s fine, but it doesn’t help me. I want to read the date in full, every time, because that’s how I read and compare dates between files. Telling me that I need to re-learn how to read dates isn’t the answer.

Not trolling nor joking. As explained, I didn’t mean narrower.

Maybe I’m using the wrong vocabulary, as I’m not a native English speaker, so allow me to explain what I mean with examples:

• “yesterday” is one word;
  • “24 May” is two words,
  • “24 May 2017” is 3 words.

I didn’t tell anything like that. Please don’t start antagonizing again, now that we were making progress.

So rather than read the date and time directly, I now have to count the number of words to know how old my files are? Why can’t I just have an internationally recognised date format that works for me?

1 Like

I now have to count the number of words to know how old my files are?

Again, I didn’t say anything like that. Please stop gaslighting.

I was kind enough to provide examples and but now I feel I walked right into a trap.

I’m sorry, that wasn’t my intention at all. Please stop throwing out buzzwords suggesting i’m trying to trigger you. There has to be a language or cultural barrier here that I don’t understand, because you keep responding with statements that appear obtuse or contradictory when evaluated from my north american perspective.

You said that the dates getting wider was a feature of the way Files shows dates:

The current format makes it very fast to tell which dates are more recent, even before reading them, because longer dates are older, shorter dates are closer to today!

When I misunderstood what you meant by longer, you clarified that you meant the number of words.

Maybe I’m using the wrong vocabulary, as I’m not a native English speaker, so allow me to explain what I mean with examples:

• “yesterday” is one word;
  • “24 May” is two words,
  • “24 May 2017” is 3 words.

And I understand now what you mean. “More words is a date further in the past.” Is that correct?

That’s correct. I was making an effort to explain you how I see it. I was never trying to tell you are seeing it wrong, nor impose you a new way to see it.

Okay, good. Now do you see where my comment “I have to count words to know how old my files are” came from?

I recognize that you, personally, are not telling me i’m doing something wrong or trying to impose a new paradigm. But the software does tell me that, indirectly. By only offering the option of reading dates in the format it does, the program is saying that “this is the correct way.” By not following the Locale setting, it doesn’t allow me to affect that format by changing it to match regional norms or personal preference.

I’m all in favour of making it “easy” for the average new user. Strictly following the Locale setting would do that, even if you stripped the seconds from the time if you need to. And it would let more advanced users customize their setup by tweaking their Locale settings, something they may already be doing.

I don’t see where it comes from. You don’t have to count words. I am the one who counted words in order to better explain myself.

Sorry but that’s just untrue. The program is free software. It unconditionally allows you to affect that format by changing it to match regional norms or personal preference.

So, really, arguing that this software is in any way not allowing you to change anything is always false.

I’d do just that if it were possible to do in a reliable way.

It’s not possible. The Locale doesn’t provide for that usage. You’d need to make changes to locale tools and update all locales to provide a time format without seconds.

If I were willing to set up a build environment and compile and debug my own code fork, then yes, that is true.

I’m going to let this thread die now, as we’re getting lost in language barrier issues (number of words vs. longer strings vs. etc.) and we’re back to talking about Locales. I’ve already issued a bug report that Files doesn’t follow the Locale string, so i’ll stick to that bug report and watch for resolution from that end.

Thanks!

Okay, since you want to stop any discussion on this issue by locking the bug reports, we’ll have to continue discussion here.

Antonio, you told me that if Files wasn’t following Locale, that I should raise a bug report. I did that.

In discussing this bug, you’ve acknowledged that Files is not following Locale, and in fact is unlikely to ever follow Locale, because the Locale settings generally include seconds in the time, and you don’t want to display them. Even though my Locale settings do not have seconds in the time, that wasn’t enough.

Since there was no avenue that was going to solve this, why did you suggest I submit a bug report?

Your custom locale is an extremely unusual case. So it’s safe to ignore your exotic use case that was created on purpose for this bug report.

Locale date formats have seconds. There is no locale-provided time format without seconds.

False accusation.

I don’t want to stop any discussion.

I had to stop the spam, because I want civilized discussion, not nagging and bullying.

Then why did you bother telling me to submit a bug report if Files wasn’t following the Locale setting?