Dark mode not applied

Hi there !
I am a KDE user that decided to use gnome for having some fresh air.
My system is opensuse which has KDE as main DE.
I had no fuss to get gnome DE working, thanks to pre-defined patterns in yast software management.
I prefer dark themes and I got gnome-tweaks installed, in appearance I change themes/applications to Adwaita-dark with no changes, I mean, the file manager, for instance, is all white.
However if I change the icons to any other theme, I can see immediately the icons changing on file manager .
even running the reset command (ALT+F2 and typing r) there is no change on apps. They are all white.
Digging on on internet some suggested to check the file .config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini (or .config/gtk-4.0/settings.ini), but I do not have such files.
Another one told to install “User themes” extensions to change the shell theme in gnome tweaks, also with no change.
Whats is the proper way to change gnome to a dark theme ?

Whats is the proper way to change gnome to a dark theme ?

Hi, dark mode is a new libadwaita feature for GTK 4 apps in the upcoming GNOME 42 release. It’s not supported in GNOME 41 or earlier. You can try to achieve the same effect using dark GTK 3 themes, but since you asked for the “proper” way, it’s to wait for GNOME 42 and encourage apps to upgrade to GTK 4 and libadwaita.

As for why nautilus doesn’t respect the theme, I do not know, sorry.

For GTK 3 applications there will be dark mode support in libhandy 1.6+ (also to be released along GNOME 42).

As for your issue I have no clue what might be causing it, but certainly sounds like a configuration issue :confused:

How odd! openSUSE has Adwaita Dark Mode theme already and it’s not new, even openSUSE Leap 15.3 (long term support release) has it. Courtesy of Extra Themes (Show openSUSE:Factory / gnome-themes-extra - openSUSE Build Service)

And there isn’t a “proper way” to change it, we just launch Tweaks then select AppearanceApplicationsAdwaita-dark et voilà.

Why it’s not working for you it’s beyond me.

Oh, I didn’t know about availability only on 42. Currently I am running 41.3.
Looks like I will have to wait for it.

I found a variable setting in my ~/.profile that when removed, fixed the dark mode.
I don’t know why I put this there, may be years ago.
Anyway, the offended variable was
export GTK_THEME=‘Breeze-Dark’

Now, it is working as expected.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.