Cut and paste file, no progress information.

I don’t know if it’s a bug or a design. When I move files with the mouse (cut, paste to a folder or cut, paste) and the files are small and there are few of them (say 3), nautilus does not display any information about copying. The progress bar does not appear, there is no notification at the bottom of the window. Maybe it’s just me, because I haven’t found such a description anywhere.
Steps to repeat:

1. From the “A” folder, select one or more small files, select cut from the context menu.
  2. Find another folder, it may be on the same or a different but fast disk. Select Paste from the context menu.

Result: the files are transferred, but the application gives no indication that the operation has been performed.

Expected Result: Each file copy/move should result in appropriate feedback.

Fedora 39
Gnome 45.2
Kernel: Linux 6.6.8-200.fc39.x86_64
Plugins:
/usr/lib64/nautilus/extensions-4/libnautilus-image-properties.so
/usr/lib64/nautilus/extensions-4/libtotem-properties-page.so
/usr/lib64/nautilus/extensions-4/libterminal-nautilus.so
/usr/lib64/nautilus/extensions-4/libMEGAShellExtNautilus.so

Hi Adam!

I agree with you. There should be some feedback.

I believe only a part of it is intentional. When you paste into the folder that’s already open, if the operation is quick, then the pasted file is selected, focused and (if needed) scrolled into view. This is assumed to be appropriate feedback.

Otherwise, such as the case of “Paste Into Folder” or drag-and-drop into a subfolder, the lack of feedback for non-long operations is indeed a problem we should resolve.

We are tracking this issue in Visible feedback after copy/move operations (#1434) · Issues · GNOME / Files · GitLab Thanks to your reminder, I’m going to leave an update and guidance to help get this addressed.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.