Cursor customization during DND operations

Hi everyone,

on the picture below there’s cursor look while dragging some widget (with different gtk versions and the same system theme):

• at top in form of palm
  • at bottom in form of arrow
  • on the left side for light theme
  • on the right side for dark theme

two questions for code in C for Gtk4 app:

1. how to customize or choose a form for cursor (palm or arrow)?
  2. is it possible to invert colors of those cursor icons for dark themes?

p.s. those cursor icons are distinct in different distros and seem to depend on Gtk version too. And all the tested don’t invert colors at switching to dark theme.

1c

I think DnD should always use a ‘hand’ cursor, assuming a typical cursor theme. What “different gtk versions” are these?

The cursor theme is not affected by the Dark Style preference. GNOME has had black cursors by default for a long time. With the white outline, it has adequate contrast on any backdrop.

should always use a ‘hand’ cursor

I’ve seen dnd arrows in many distros running this gtk4 app

What “different gtk versions” are these?

with “palm” - gtk 4.12.x from distro package
with “arrow” - built with locally compiled gtk 4.13.8

The cursor theme is not affected by the Dark Style preference. GNOME has had black cursors by default for a long time.

can’t test out all distros, but at least one of them (from those at hand) has inverted colors. It’s about GTK4 in general, not only GNOME

1d

That’s going to change in 46 which switches to arrow cursors for DND:

(and a few more)

2 Likes

This particular arrow looks good (imho much better than outdatish palms that I’ve often seen).

And about color inversion depending on dark/light variant, is that possible?

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.