When you do a search for ‘GTK Tutorial’ chances are high that you probably land on this page - GTK+ 2.0 Tutorial. Personally, I find this tutorial easy to follow.
One of the reason why I find this easy to follow is, GTK2-way to write application. The flow in this tutorial is procedural. For example, - init the toolkit, write the application code, and the invite main loop to handle the application. This is even make more sense to teach this to students (or someone who is looking for GUI lib to write applications) as flow and code was same. But, then
GtkApplication introduced. I know it is for good. But, now it becomes hard to explain to someone who want to learn development.
Is there any guide that gradually build an application in GTK2-way, then show problems at all possible places which might be solved using GTK3-way or using
GtkApplication? I’m looking for guide that has lots of code example and explicitly mention the problems that
GtkApplication will going to solve.
Apart from this I’m think about creating documentation for beginners like -
- An Introduction to C
- Learn how to create few data structures and some util functions in C.
- Then introduce GLib library
- Introduce the possible advantage of using OO pattern in C
- Then introduce GObject library
- Discuss about GUI development
- Then Introduce GTK
- Create simple application using GTK2-way
- Show the possible problems with GTK2-way
- Introduce new way to build application.
- Create an application in GTK3 or may in GTK4
- While creating an application, learn how to access documentation and asked for help
- Go further and introduce supportive libraries
- A list of well written and beginners friendly real world projects