Create GtkImage from URL

I’m trying to load an image from an URL and then apply it to a GTKImage, however, I’m running under some issues.

let url = element.attributes.get("src").unwrap().clone().unwrap();

let handle = thread::spawn(move || {
                let result = reqwest::blocking::get(url).unwrap().bytes().unwrap();
                result
            });

let img_data = handle.join().unwrap();

let img_stream = gio::MemoryInputStream::from_bytes(&Bytes::from(&img_data));

let stream =
                gdk_pixbuf::Pixbuf::from_stream(&img_stream, Some(&gio::Cancellable::new()))
                    .unwrap();

let image = gtk::Image::builder()
                .css_name("img")
                .css_classes(element.classes.clone())
                .pixel_size(stream.height())
                .halign(gtk::Align::Start)
                .build();

image.set_from_pixbuf(Some(&stream));
            html_view.append(&image);

My problem is that the normal width & height of the image (112x140 in this case) don’t correctly apply (because the image has “GTK_ICON_SIZE_INHERIT”, and icon_size(...) only accepts an enum with 3 values: Inherit, Small, Large). I resulted into setting the image semi-properly using pixel_size() of width(), but that means it won’t properly check for the height.

Images below for reference

Testing https://i.pinimg.com/originals/25/aa/1a/25aa1a16b78d63f639b04b8427d4f2d6.jpg:

Testing https://i.pinimg.com/originals/25/aa/1a/25aa1a16b78d63f639b04b8427d4f2d6.jpg, but without modifying pixel_size (the default behavior, and where the problem is):

And the confusing part is that the width() and height() on the PixBuf is correct, it’s the way GTKImage “renders it” that probably makes it small.

I’m confused - what’s the proper way of doing this?

gtk::Image is meant to be used for icons and other assets where the size of the asset determines the size of the widget; for random images, use gtk::Picture instead.