Changing icon of an extension

Hello,

I have installed the extension adjust.brightness.icon@orschiro.gmail.com which is perfect to me.

I have just an icon issue. The default one is not good. So I took a look at the code and noticed this line for the icon:

//usr/share/icons/gnome/scalable/actions/system-run-symbolic.svg
let icon = new St.Icon({ icon_name: 'dialog-information-symbolic',
                         style_class: 'panelItem' }); //system-status-icon

I took a look at the caffeine extension to see how the icon is initialised and so I tried this code for adjust.brightness but with no success:

let icon = new St.Icon({
    style_class: 'system-status-icon'
});
icon.gicon = Gio.icon_new_for_string(`${Me.path}/my-caffeine-off-symbolic.svg`);

How to update the icon of an extension for an svg one?

Thanks,
Vincent.

The second code example will work for what you need, but of course you can’t just copy-paste that code since it clearly looks for an icon shipped with the extension:

// ----------------------------------------v
icon.gicon = Gio.icon_new_for_string(`${Me.path}/my-caffeine-off-symbolic.svg`);

Thus you will have to change that path to an SVG that actually exists on your system and restart GNOME Shell to reload the extension.

Thanks to the command journalctl -f -o cat /usr/bin/gnome-shell I could debug this extension.

I had problems like Gio is not defined and had to add these 2 contantes:

const Gio = imports.gi.Gio;
const Me = imports.misc.extensionUtils.getCurrentExtension();

I had to change the css style:

.panelItem {
    width: 15px;
    height: 15px;
    margin:8px;
}

So I could do it with a founded on the web svg icon but this icon is not in harmony with the others:

Where to find Gnome svg icons?

Thanks

Maybe have a look at Icon Library.

Perfect, mission accomplished. Thank you @andyholmes for your help.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.