Cannot back up automatically

Hello, I am trying to activate automatic backup, but I get the message “Your desktop session does not support automatically starting Flatpack apps”. Has anyone encountered this problem before?

Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon (Fresh Install)
Déjà Dup Backups 45.2 (Flatpak)

Thanks

1 Like

I think the problem is xdg-desktop-portal-xapp is very barebones and does not implement the background portal. Looks like very many other portals are missing too. I’m afraid that project likely needs a lot of work; you’ll probably encounter compatibility problems in many other applications too. Sorry for the bad news.

(If somebody is interested in contributing to Linux Mint or Cinnamon, this would likely be a good place to start.)

I opened a ticket about this missing portal: Add a Background portal implementation · Issue #2 · linuxmint/xdg-desktop-portal-xapp · GitHub

You can follow along there, but I don’t know how high priority is is for the Mint folks.

1 Like

Thank you for your answers

I actually notice strange things when flatpak applications automatically start. For rebuilding my system, and whenever possible, I try to install my tools via Flatpak only. The first one I try to configure, like everyone does ;-), is deja-dup. But, after your comments, I think I will reconsider my plan.

Thanks for the ticket

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.