Can I change the theme or colors in Gnome Mines?

Installing Mines in a Mint 20 Cinnamon VM shows that things are working as expected on a fresh install, so there’s surely something on your computer that is breaking stuff. Just in case:

$ rf -rf ~/.cache/*

but I don’t see what that could change, and I don’t have other ideas of things to test. :slightly_frowning_face:

~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini

gtk-shell-shows-app-menu=0

Deleted the cache. No change.

Are you saying to add that line to settings.ini, or make sure it’s not set to that?

Ok, interesting. I just created a new user account, and the menu does show up there. I wonder what would be causing my current account to not show the menu.

And why would it only affect Mines and not all Gnome apps?

There’s something in the code that doesn’t construct the button in some cases, depending on the “gtk-shell-shows-menubar” option. So, in ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini, please try to add the line gtk-shell-shows-menubar=1 (if I read correctly the code… or else, 0).

The problematic code is already removed from the main development branch, so the future 3.38 release will be unaffected. If the problem is confirmed, might be worth to open a bug on the gitlab, to discuss if there’s a way to avoid this problem for other people.

(if should be either unset or 0, as in false)

I tried both of those settings (0 and 1) in settings.ini, and neither made a difference. I looked at the new user account I created, and it didn’t even have a settings.ini. I temporarily renamed gtk-3.0 so after a logout/in it would recreate itself with defaults, and that didn’t make a difference, either. However, I tried temporarily renaming ,config to something else, logged out/in and it worked. So it’s something in the .config, but not in gtk-3.0. I’ll keep experimenting and see if I can track down the folder or file that’s at fault here.

Ok, this is weird. I can rename the .config folder (say to x.config) and log out/in, and at first all my theming and desktop layout is reset to defaults, and the menu works in Mines. But if I wait a few minutes, log out, and log back in, all my theming and desktop layout is back, and the Mines menu is gone again. There’s something elsewhere that seems to be readjusting settings. Not all settings (my other software is completely reverted back to defaults), but the Cinnamon DE settings. Hmmm…

So I renamed both my .config and .cinnamon files, and it cleared just about everything. The menu in Mines worked and seemed to be sticking. Then I rebuilt my desktop settings the way I like it, and now the menu is gone again. No idea what’s causing this, but it’s incredibly frustrating. Well, I guess as long as I can set the theme the way I like it, I can live without a menu.

I’ve tried some things in a VM, but cannot reproduce. As your config is implied, I’d say the problem is globally quite limited. And as that will be solved in 3.38, I’ll stop here my own research around this bug.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.