Battery full notification

Often, I forget to unplug the charger when battery gets fully charged. Is it possible get a notification when battery is fully charged? Indeed, I can accomplish this by using Cron and a script, but since, I’m already using UPower & gnome-power-manager application to manage power related events (like Battery low notification, Critical battery low notification, Take action at critical battery low, etc.) so, why not use this also, for battery full notification.

EDIT:
I look for this in yelp (gnome-help manual); and there is an option[1] available to get notification. But, seems like this option is unavailable in newer GNOME version, also, can’t find any schema related to this in dconf-editor.

[1]: yelp → click on burger icon (icon with three bars) → All Help → Battery Charge Manual → Preferences → see notification section.

System Info:
Distro: Debian Buster (10.1)
GNOME v3.30.2
yelp 3.31.90

I wonder, this (Battery Charge Monitor Manual) part of manual belongs to which application?

Unplug when full makes no sense, because control electronic should decrease charging current nearly to zero then. What may make sense is restrict charging to maybe 85% of maximum to increase battery lifetime. My old Lenovo laptop supports that by hardware/bios. For my samsung cell phone I would like such a feature, limiting loading to about 85%, but I guess it is not available.

Unplug when full makes no sense, because control electronic should decrease charging current nearly to zero then. What may make sense is restrict charging to maybe 85% of maximum to increase battery lifetime.

Seems like I didn’t explain the problem, properly. I want to manually unplug the charger or turn off charger’s switch in electric board. But, first I’ve to sure battery reached certain power level (for example: >95%). And for that, it would be nice, if I can get notification.

My old Lenovo laptop supports that by hardware/bios.

Mine, also. I’m using HP laptop and when power level becomes 100%, then charging LED changes its color from orange to white.

For my samsung cell phone I would like such a feature, limiting loading to about 85%, but I guess it is not available.

Most mobile manufacturers’ have feature to notify users when their battery gets fully charged either by making a noise or showing pop-up. Mine, phone manufacturer don’t.

If I can get battery low notification, so it’s also possible to get battery full notification. Since UPower only trigger D-Bus events, so in GNOME, which application triggers these notifications to libnotify?

None. GNOME Shell observes the power state using upower, and generates the notifications internally; nothing should use libnotify in the GNOME stack any more, and most definitely nothing inside the core user experience.

You can write your own user daemon observing the power state and emit your own notifications, though.

Since, GNOME shell monitor these events so, is it good idea to feature request this on gnome-shell project repository? Or, is it possible to write a GNOME extension to incorporate this feature in gnome-shell?

One more question, is it possible to incorporate options which are provided by UPower directly in GNOME settings menu (like set/change battery low, critically low percentage and take certain action when battery is critically low )? So, users don’t have to set these options in /etc/UPower/UPower.conf.

Indeed, but, I want to relay on less numbers of script, as much as possible for desktop related tasks; and that’s whole point of using Desktop Environment.

It helps with people like me. My laptop battery gets heated up and die when it is kept switched ON after 100%. Battery capacity goes to 3-4% in a couple of over charge events. There was some battery monitor app mateen from Bangladesh which used to work well for Ubuntu. Hope to see in on core.

I don’t see why you’d need an extension at all, and I also don’t think the Shell should have a setting that changes the notification thresholds.

Those settings are system wide, and require privileged access. Additionally, it’s not something I see happening, given the niche nature of the request.

That’s not really what a desktop environment does.

The environment provides you with all the tools necessary for your specific use case; a simple user daemon that sends a notification is using all existing infrastructure—UPower, DBus, the notification interface. A desktop environment is not meant to provide you with all the possible functionality you want, otherwise it would be an unmaintainable mess.

No, those notifications are still done by gsd-power using libnotify.

1 Like

I just want to be sure that currently, there is no other way to get battery full notification except writing own daemon.

If problem is privileged access, from GNOME setting panel we can add/remove user and even provide any user system administrator privilege which also requires privilege access and these are system-wide settings.

Since, GNOME already notify users for battery low and critically battery low so, it won’t be hard to implement this feature. It was possible in GNOME 2 (top of my post I’ve attached a screenshot very old Battery Charge Monitor Manual[1]) and why does this feature removed from GNOME 3? Hopefully, most of the laptop users will be interested in this feature.

This feature is already requested on gsd's issue tracker (https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-settings-daemon/issues/21).

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.