Background pattern removal

I have a wedding photo taken in 1925 on professional photographic paper. I am trying to enhance the photo - dehaze, etc but get nowhere since there is a background pattern faded beige in color that looks like your typical chicken wire pattern. I do not know how to remove the pattern. I’d like to include the image with this question but don’t know how to include it.

You can drag or paste images.

1 Like

Also, if the image is too big, a significant extract at full size is better than a scaled down image.

Scan the photo in a fairly high resolution - at least 1200dpi for a print, 4800dpi for a negative. Scan so you get an image that’s (say) 5 or 6 times bigger on a side than you need.

Use image/encoding (or image/precision, depending on gimp version) to choose 16 bits per pixel non-linear (alpha) mode.

Use filters/blur/gaussian blur to remove the background pattern - try a radius of 11 pixels and see what happens.

use image->scale image, and try appending /6 to the width in pixels in the text box and pressing tab, then enter, to make the image one sixth of its size on each side

Use filters/enhance/sharpem (unsharp mask) to bring back the details lost in the blur.

But i am guessing about the nature of the pattern here.

Thank you so much for getting back to me.

I am quite the novice with GIMP and don’t understand 100% of what you mention but I will give it a try.

Thank you again .

Ron

Is it this type of patterns?

If so, to remove them, go to Filters > G’MIC, a window opens, go to Frenquencies > Fourier transform
As a new subscriber to this forum, I can’t post more than one image.
But once you do go back to your layer, you will have a new layer gray scale (the layer highlighted in my screenshot), on the top part only, use a brush to remove the white spots by painting black on them (BUT not at the center), .
Once it’s done, on that very layer re-do a Fourier transform and all the patterns will be gone

Thank you so much for your reply. It worked out just fine.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.