Assistance to close Community/Event-related mailing lists in favour of Discourse

I’m trying to assist in the effort of moving mailing lists over to Discourse. This is being tracked at https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/Initiatives/-/issues/18. In this issue I’ve also updated the steps to take in closing a mailing list. I think it is best to first contact an owner before talking to the subscribers. For that I need a bit of help.

Basically: who is the right person/team/group to contact for the initial discussion?

The mailing lists I’m investigating are:

Aside from the Community ones I’m also checking a few Events related ones:

• asia-summit-list: Mailing list is in use. I think it requires a new tag, e.g. ‘asia-summit’. This mailing list will take a while I think. Further, they’re currently planning GNOME Asia, maybe not good to change anything for now.
  • guadec-attendees-list. Seems dead, nothing in archives. Can be closed without discussion IMO.
  • guadec-list: Not too many emails. Maybe add a new tag, e.g. ‘guadec’. Where are the discussions usually? Should we request an ‘events’ category?
  • guadec-local. Nothing since 2015. Can be closed without discussion IMO. Also noticed a ‘GUADEC organizers’ group on Discourse.

As said: for various I’d like to know who is owning the lists and can sign off with the sysadmins on closing these.

Please correct any wrong assumptions!

Btw: I wasn’t sure if to open a topic here or file an issue at https://gitlab.gnome.org/groups/Teams/Engagement/-/issues. Here felt better as the covered mailing lists are pretty broad.

Thanks

3 Likes

I noticed an additional unused Community mailing list:

• gugmasters-list “for collaboration and co-operation between GNOME User Groups worldwide”. Unused since 2017.

The guadec-local list is already on discourse as a (possibly private) group,and there’s also a GUADEC organisers group. And there’s a GUADEC tag! So I think you can consider all the GUADEC lists as migrated to discourse.

1 Like

Thanks for the information! I’ve sent a closure announcement to the lists. The one to the attendees list is stuck in moderation. I cannot be bothered to ask for the moderation password as it never got an email anyway.

Up next: the internship/women/outreachy bits.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.