Assertion CRITICAL failed

My Gtk3 program works, just fine. However, I get these critical Gtk messages when the program runs. I have hacked around speculatively changing assertions to no effect. I have, of course searched the web for answers. A code fragment follows which (I think) is causing the messages. The Gtk3 is hand coded, no Glade.

How should I go about debugging this type of message ?

(Kollwitz:144526): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 15:22:53.814: gtk_text_buffer_insert_at_cursor: 
assertion 'GTK_IS_TEXT_BUFFER (buffer)' failed

(Kollwitz:144526): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 15:22:53.814: gtk_text_buffer_get_insert: a
ssertion 'GTK_IS_TEXT_BUFFER (buffer)' failed

(Kollwitz:144526): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 15:22:53.814: gtk_text_view_scroll_mark_onscreen: 
assertion 'GTK_IS_TEXT_VIEW (text_view)' failed

(Kollwitz:144526): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 15:22:53.814: gtk_text_view_get_buffer: 
assertion 'GTK_IS_TEXT_VIEW (text_view)' failed
GtkWidget *install_console(int width, int height, GtkWidget **console_text_view)
{
	GtkWidget *scroll_window;
	GtkTextBuffer *console_buffer;
	PangoFontDescription *font;
	GdkRGBA rgba;

scroll_window = gtk_scrolled_window_new(NULL, NULL);
	gtk_container_set_border_width(GTK_CONTAINER(scroll_window), 5);
	gtk_scrolled_window_set_policy(GTK_SCROLLED_WINDOW(scroll_window),
		GTK_POLICY_AUTOMATIC, GTK_POLICY_AUTOMATIC);
	gtk_widget_set_size_request(scroll_window, width, height);

*console_text_view = gtk_text_view_new();
	gtk_container_add(GTK_CONTAINER(scroll_window), *console_text_view);

font = pango_font_description_from_string("Monospace 8");
	gtk_widget_override_font(*console_text_view, font);

console_buffer = gtk_text_view_get_buffer(GTK_TEXT_VIEW(*console_text_view));

// Change default color throughout the widget
	gdk_rgba_parse (&rgba, "blue");
	gtk_widget_override_color(*console_text_view, GTK_STATE_FLAG_NORMAL, &rgba);

gtk_text_buffer_insert_at_cursor(console_buffer, "", -1);

return scroll_window;
}

void gui_console_printf(GtkWidget **console_text_view, const char *control, ...)
{
	va_list parms;
	GtkTextBuffer *console_buffer;
	GtkTextMark *console_mark;
	char text[TEXT_BUFFER_SIZE];

va_start(parms, control);
	vsnprintf(text, TEXT_BUFFER_SIZE, control, parms);
	printf("%s", text);
	console_buffer = gtk_text_view_get_buffer(GTK_TEXT_VIEW(*console_text_view));
	gtk_text_buffer_insert_at_cursor(GTK_TEXT_BUFFER(console_buffer), text, -1);
	console_mark = gtk_text_buffer_get_insert(GTK_TEXT_BUFFER(console_buffer));
	gtk_text_view_scroll_mark_onscreen(GTK_TEXT_VIEW(*console_text_view), console_mark);
	gui_update();
	va_end(parms);
}

You can set the environment variable G_DEBUG=fatal-criticals (or even G_DEBUG=fatal-warnings if you want) to let glib abort on critical (or warnings) log messages, so you can run your program with a debugger which should stop when it aborts after the log message was printed, so you can look into where this occurs (and what the variables are).

1 Like

Well, I set the environment variable:
export G_DEBUG=fatal-criticals|
env
and checked it was set but the messages are exactly the same.

You may think me fussy, because the application runs just fine, but I hate warnings like this. In fact it isn’t a warning the messages say an assertion failed.

The G_DEBUG=fatal-criticals environment variable does not change the warnings: it makes them fatal.

What you’re supposed to do is to run the application under GDB to get a backtrace at the time the warning is emitted. See the handbook and the GLib documentation.

The critical warnings you’re getting are emitted by the precondition checks for the gtk_text_buffer_insert_at_cursor() and friends: some code is passing an invalid pointer to those functions, where they are expecting a pointer to a GtkTextBuffer instance.

Hello Emmanuele,
The IDE I use runs my code under GDB. My program doesn’t crash and so there is no stack trace. All I get are messages that are “Critical” yet the application runs fine. If there were an uninitialized pointer I figure things would crash and the IDE’s invocation of GDB would give me a stack trace.

All the pointers, in the two functions I show, are initialized by Gtk.

Should I build the program with some debug flags turned on for Gtk ? I’m just using $(shell pkg-config --cflags gtk±3.0)

If the application runs without aborting then it means it’s not getting G_DEBUG injected in its environment. Make sure you have configured the running environment correctly.

Oh dear. This puts me debugging the debugging. The environment variable seems to be in place.

I think I’ll stub out functions until the messages go away and narrow down things that way.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.