Allowing Shotwell (flatpak) to delete photos

Hello,

I have installed the flatpak version of Shotwell and have my ~/Dropbox/Pictures folder set as the photos library, however, I am unable to delete any photos from within the app. The files will go to the ‘Trash’ but then say, “photo/video cannot be deleted” when I try to empty it.

I’m assuming this has to do with the permissions of flatpak, so I’ve tried allowing ‘all user files’ and even ‘all system files’, but this still doesn’t work.

I’d appreciate any assistance.

1 Like

can you check $HOME./var/app/org.gnome.Shotwell/cache/shotwell/shotwell.log for any message after trying to remove something from trash?

This seems to work for me.

1 Like

I turned every setting on with Flatseal just to see, but it didn’t work.

L 2 2023-04-29 17:00:01 [MSG] MediaDataRepresentation.vala:108: Unable to move original photo /run/user/1000/doc/d155cff9/Photographs & Videos/March 18, 2023/IMG_1912.png to trash: Failed to open /run/user/1000/doc/d155cff9/Photographs & Videos/March 18, 2023/IMG_1912.png

L 2 2023-04-29 17:00:01 [WRN] DataSource.vala:372: Unable to delete backing for [940] /run/user/1000/doc/d155cff9/Photographs & Videos/March 18, 2023/IMG_1912.png

But simply adding /run/user/ did the trick. Thank you for the tip! This has been bugging me.

Weird that you have to do that.

I’m on Debian 12 (Bookworm) which is still in testing so I’m not sure if that has anything at all to do with it or not.

Edit: using another image manager didn’t require explicit permissions to /user/run/, the ‘all user files’ worked fine. I suppose I should file a bug report.

Can you check with flatpak permission-show org.gnome.Shotwell if it contains a line with d155cff9 in the Object column?

Yes, it does.

Table     Object   App Permissions                           Data
documents d155cff9 org.gnome.Shotwell read,grant-permissions (b'/home/latener/Dropbox/Photographs & Videos', 65025, 11541360, 4)

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.