Adding new categories?

We (guadec organisers) were thinking of moving guadec-volunteers from a mailing list to Discourse. What’s the best way to go about that?

At the moment it’s a private list that anyone can request to join and which is shown in the mailing list list so that people an actually find it. Is it possible to do something similar with Discourse?

We want to keep discussion private as there may be some communication on sensitive topics.

Hrm. Discourse can have private categories which people can use, and this can be controlled by groups. The ACLs I can add are:

• Create/reply/see
  • Reply/see
  • See

I can’t set the category to be visible but not the contents, but the group page (similar to https://discourse.gnome.org/g/foundation-board) can be set to Allow users to send membership requests to group owners.

Should I set up a guadec-volunteers group and category? If so, I’ll need to know:

• The initial membership and owners
  • A title for the group and the category
  • A short description for the group and category
  • What ACL you want setting.

@kat - any update here?

@nmcgovern I am the coordinator of the Hungarian language team. How can I add a sub-category under #international similar to #international:brazilian-portuguese ?

The Brazilian Portuguese sub-category is for the Brazilian community, more than for the language team. The pt_BR community has a whole website and blog aggregator. The traffic on the sub-category hasn’t been very high, to be fair.

You can use the International community, and I can add a tag; or I can create a sub-category if you have a large community and you wish to have discussions there.

Understood. Then I start with a simple topic. This should be enough for starting. Maybe a tag magyar would be nice. The word “magyar” means “Hungarian” in Hungarian. Thanks!