Access to nautilus "starred" database

Hello:

I want to add “starred” support in Desktop Icons NG, and found that Nautilus uses a Sparql database for that. Also, it seems that I can’t use Tracker.SparqlConnection.new() from my code because, if I understand correctly the documentation, that can be used only from the same process, and since DING runs in a different process, I should use Tracker.SparqlConnection.bus_new(), which works with DBus.

The problem is that I don’t know if Nautilus is exporting it through DBus, because using d-feet I can see two services with ‘nautilus’ and ‘tracker’ in their name (org.gnome.nautilus.Tracker3.Miner.Extract and org.gnome.nautilus.Tracker3.Miner.Files), but can’t access them (I receive an error in d-feet).

So the question is: how can I get access to the “starred” database?

Thanks.

Hi.

The database is private to the application, it shouldn’t be touched by other programs.

At best, we could provide a D-Bus API for this, like we do for the other file operations.

However, I wonder how useful this would be, because the use cases of Starred files mostly overlap with the use cases of files on desktop.

1 Like

Hi:

I was evaluating this because an user asked to be able to “star” files from the desktop. Also, didn’t know that the “starring” option was designed for this, but now that you mention it, it makes sense.

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.