A test topic so that the refugees from the Evolution mailing list can try and sort things out

Gettting this. I wonder how long one is considered a new user.

"We’re sorry, but your email message to [“86df5c0441ca635282d61c4309e6b300@discourse.gnome.org”] (titled Re: [Applications] A test topic so that the refugees from the Evolution mailing list can try and sort things out) didn’t work.

Reason:
Sorry, new users can only put 2 links in a post.
If you can correct the problem, please try again."

No idea. I also don’t know why some of the HTML (Markdown?) code was quoted literally when I quoted you.
[/quote]

But also the quoting seems to be really messed up on this message - I wonder if you/I deleted something in the “text” box on the left rather than using the formatted box to the right?

But anyway, the threading of posts is really strange - there’s two copies of each post and unthreaded one at the end and a threaded one under the post you reply to.

Du får inte e-post ofta från noreply@gnome.org. Se varför det här är viktigt.
| |

• | - | - |

| PeteBPete Biggs
October 21 |

• | - |

Hmm, not sure it likes plain text replies!

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Let’s try this again from Evo Mail.
No links (hopefully) and Don’t loose the formatting.

No random quote marks on this one.

My previous plain text reply seemed to have ghotten through okay as well.
Except for no previous quotes…

This time I selected a block before hitting Reply, in the time-honoured manner. Let’s see what happens now.

As regards the threading, I’ll see what happens if and when I ever get this by email. I definitely enabled the option but haven’t received anything yet.

Kinda’ feels like you have to start new topics on Discourse itself?
Sounds weird though.

I dont see any obvious way how to initiate a new topic to here from Evo Mail.

Edit:
Found this.
But am not sure I understand.
I need to find a special email address on the Applications category with my desired tag?

There are only 5 options in the Watched & Tracked menus
gtk, glib, python, vala & rust
No mention of evolution

You can just type it in - but I think the watched one is a scroll list.
The “Tracked” list doesn’t even recognise Evolution as a tag.

Also if you go into the tag list for Evolution

Topics tagged evolution

(must be careful, can’t post any more links :frowning: )

There’s a bell at the top right next to the “+New Topic” button. Click
on that so it’s blue with an exclamation mark in it - that is another
method of enabling notifications for the topic.

P.

This is a reply using List Reply from Evolution. Not sure if that is then still needed and I can just reply to sender?
I have Evolution tag watched and EMail set up on the Discourse site.
I’ll have to change my ‘EVOLUTION’ search folder to pick up ‘Applications’.

How exciting, I got a badge for using an emoji.

That’s sarcasm for the non-English speakers. This is supposed to be a serious tool, not a teenage playground where you get rewarded for being purile. Here’s another one for you. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Did you complete the box ‘Include previous replies at the bottom of emails’ in the Email settings on Discourse?

I got a badge for using the Quoting button. Saints preserve us …

1 Like

I don’t think you can - the only email address is for the category, not a tag. Which is why Andrea Veri was talking about setting up automations behind the scene to automatically tag posts that contained certain words.

Aha, now I get it!

I don’t see any reply from Andrea about setting this up, unless I missed it in the suddenly highly traficked mailing list.

@PeteB
I can’t quote a post I’m replying to here in the web gui. Only see a reply button on your post.
I find this makes it difficult to track who said what in response to which specific post.

I also feel Discourse is getting clunkier and clunkier to use, the more I wander around here.

Finally got some posts via email (they seem to be batched), so using
Reply to List in Evo to see what happens.

poc

The top left symbol of the reply editor - looks like a lasso, is supposed to be speech bubble - puts the quoted text in. But unless you want to fiddle around with the BBcode/HTML you can’t sensibly write in the middle of the quoted text. i.e. if you type in the middle of the quote /quote tags it looks like your text is part of the quote.

Thanks, there it is!
It’s well hidden, and not overly obvious…
As mentioned before, somewhat klunky - not impressed so far.

No need to, if Discourse sees the word evolution (case insensitive) it tags the topic accordingly, no need to worry around manual tagging yourself :slight_smile:

Ralf,

don’t use mailing list mode as it doesn’t behave the way you’d expect (you get notified about every single category unless you opt out / mute the categories you’re not interested in).

Please see Welcome to GIMP forum on GNOME Discourse and Welcome to Gnome discourse screen reader users to further read on how to properly configure your user profile / mail client.

Received by this refugee. John