Remove google drive backup set

Changed from snap to flatpak including helpful dconf migration steps. My existing backup set on google drive is password protected and I’ve lost my password. I’m OK with deleting the backup set on google drive and creating a new backup set and looking for any suggestions.

Hello! The password might be sitting in the Passwords & Keys app if you asked Deja Dup to remember it.

Otherwise yeah, without the password, it’s best to make a new backup set, sorry.

Not seeing anything in Passwords & Keys. What are recommended steps for removing the old google drive backup set and creating a new one. There must be some cached backup set metadata as I can see backup times from the restore.

Yes there is some cached metadata in ~/.cache/deja-dup - but that will reset itself if the location changes or remote backup files disappear, so don’t worry about that.

You should be able to simply change your storage location folder to a new value and make a new backup and be in the clear.

Though it’s a bit annoying that the password isn’t found - if we didn’t normally ask for it in the snap version, we must have been saving it in the secrets store… which is what the Passwords & Keys app lets you see.

But regardless, starting over is easy enough.

You could also just delete the old files and make a new backup in the same folder - just that leaves you without a backup for a moment, so I’d vote for a new folder, then delete the old backups

Should I be updating values from ~/.var/app/org.gnome.DejaDup/config/glib-2.0/settings/keyfile? If so which ones, they all seem to point to my password protected folder. Maybe there is a way to do this in the GUI that I’m missing?

[org/gnome/deja-dup/gcs]
folder=‘briano-XPS-13-9310’

[org/gnome/deja-dup/google]

[org/gnome/deja-dup/local]

[org/gnome/deja-dup/openstack]
container=‘briano-XPS-13-9310’

[org/gnome/deja-dup/rackspace]
container=‘briano-XPS-13-9310’

[org/gnome/deja-dup/remote]

[org/gnome/deja-dup/s3]

All set! The key/value pair is;
[org/gnome/deja-dup/google]
folder=‘briano-backup’

I found preferences setting in GUI. Running a clean backup now.
Thanks for your help!

1 Like