Nightly runtime updated to freedesktop-sdk 24.08

Hi developers,

The GNOME nightly runtime has been updated from freedesktop-sdk 23.08 to 24.08. As usual, there are significant ABI breaks. Nightly applications will likely be broken until they are rebuilt.

Although the nightly runtime never promises ABI stability, this is the annual big ABI break that we know is especially likely to break applications. If you’re a developer, please make sure your nightly app is building successfully. If you’re a user encountering a broken app, this is why.

1 Like

I’m getting the following error in my CI:

error: Requested extension org.freedesktop.Sdk.Extension.vala-nightly/x86_64/master not installed

I guess the Vala nightly runtime extension might also still need a rebuild? Who would I need to poke for that?

Vala nightly will be missing until this MR is merged

Sadly there’s a cyclical dependency between having a published 24.08 build and publishing the vala nightly so I had to comment it out from the pre-build CI image.

I am having issues building my application manually after the update. It looks like it does not have org.freedesktop.Sdk.Extension.rust-stable installed when Meson checks for the rustc binary before building, but I do have it installed although it is on version 23.08.

I see that GNOME Builder’s flatpak installation has pulled llvm18 and rust-stable on versions 24.08beta, but I do not know what flatpak remote it is pulling those from. Building my flatpak through GNOME builder does work.

beta extensions come from the flathub-beta repo

flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub-beta https://flathub.org/beta-repo/flathub-beta.flatpakrepo
1 Like