Xrandr : gnome: brightness value set is lost if the screen is rotated

The brightness value set is lost if the screen is rotated.

This is the behavior of xrandr in Gnome (kde and lxde is not affected)

1. Change orientation: xrandr --output HDMI-1 --rotate left
  2. Change Brightness: xrandr --output HDMI-1 --brightness 0.2

Now if we change orientation , the brightness is reset to 1.0
3. Change orientation: xrandr --output HDMI-1 --rotate normal

Using command line tools that affect the X server does not guarantee that any state provided by GNOME is kept. Additionally, you haven’t said what kind of graphics card you’re using.

Having said that, you may want to file a bug; this will give a chance to the maintainers to at least tell you if what you’re doing is even supposed to work.

Thanks. I have created a ticket https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-settings-daemon/issues/464

This happens with different hardware. So looks like not related to graphics card.

The reason why I asked—and why you should always report what kind of hardware you have tested an issue with—is that there are different brightness controls on Linux that depend on the graphics driver in use.

Anyway, thanks for reporting the issue.

Yes I agree. Here is the information on one hardware which I could reproduce the issue

*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: Intel Corporation
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 2
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
version: 04
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pciexpress msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
resources: irq:127 memory:ee000000-eeffffff memory:d0000000-dfffffff ioport:f000(size=64) memory:c0000-dffff

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.