Weird windows flickering borders on Gnome 3.36 with fractional scaling enabled

Hello,

I am not sure I am posting in the correct place, so, if not, please, redirect me where this post belongs.

I am experiencing a very weird visual bug on my installation. Essentially, flickering black borders appear around boxes and terminal text whenever I move windows around or enter text. The problem shows up only when running a Wayland session and with fractional scaling enabled.

I have a Ryzen 7 2700x with 32G of 3200Mhz RAM and a Sapphire Radeon RX580 Nitro+ GPU. Also, I am running on Arch with LTS kernel 5.4.55, mesa drivers 20.1.4, and amdgpu enabled and correctly loading on boot (I think).

So far I tried very naif solutions like manually setting the GPU DPM or messing with GPU drivers with very poor luck. If someone has hints, I would be more than happy to test out and see if they help.

I also made a bit of research and I have found some threads here and there about similar issues, there is a Gitlab thread about a similar problem with some commits merged to master last year but apparently the problem is still there. I am not sure if there is something wrong with my configuration or what. I would be very thankful if someone would take the time to help me out solving this.

To demonstrate my problem I created a gif: https://imgur.com/FUu3dmV. In the first part of the video I show there is no problem without fractional scaling (scaling factor = 1), then I enable it by setting the scaling factor to 1.25 and the black borders appear.

Thanks in advance for your help (or redirection instructions) :smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.