There is something like a .gitignore to say "please, don't index here" to Tracker?

I have some subfolders scattered through folders indexed by Tracker that I don’t wanna index.
For example, some game content and node.js modules with thousands of files.

There is something like a .gitignore to say “please, don’t index here” to Tracker?

I prefer this kind of solution instead of a complex list of folders to be indexed (I could move folders and files … and I’ll need update lists … with a “.gitignore” of tracker … I don’t need to update nothing …)

my config says

$ gsettings get org.freedesktop.Tracker.Miner.Files ignored-directories-with-content
['.trackerignore', '.git', '.hg', '.nomedia']

so putting one of that files in a folder should be enough to tell tracker to not index from there down.
(I think, never tried :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

Wow, this was fast!
And the name (.trackerignore) is the same logic that I was thinking …
I tested and it worked!
Thanks!

I’ve added a note about this to the FAQ at https://gnome.pages.gitlab.gnome.org/tracker/faq/#how-can-i-control-what-tracker-indexes. I recommended using the .nomedia name for consistency with Android but .trackerignore will continue to work too.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.