Terminal command to open app drawer and switch between applications

I use only one workspace and so I had used Gestures in Gnome 39 to assign a 3 finger swipe down to open the app drawer using the command:

app-drawer

Three finger swipes would switch between applications using the command:

dbus-send --session --type=method_call --dest=org.gnome.Shell /org/gnome/Shell org.gnome.Shell.Eval string:‘Main.wm._switchApp();’

These no longer seem to work from Gestures or the command line in Gnome 41. Are there equivalent commands that will do the same thing?

Thanks very much for any help you can offer.

No, or at least: not out of the box.

Both the D-Bus method and the Main.wm you are calling still exist, but all gnome-shell D-Bus interfaces that are either private or only meant for debugging are now limited to expected callers unless the shell is put into “unsafe mode”.

You’ll need an extension that either

• toggles global.context.unsafe_mode when enabled (not recommended, because allowing any app to inject random code into the compositor is — well — rather unsafe)
  • exposes an unrestricted SwitchApp() D-Bus method that your script can call instead of Eval()
  • implements the gesture you want so you don’t have to go through custom commands/D-Bus calls

Thank you for clarifying what is going on and for pointing me to extensions. I found an extension called Touchpad Gesture Improvements that is compatible with Gnome 41 and allows me to use the gestures I had previously set up.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.