Refreshing/re-creating GTK4 menu and program freeze

Hello world,
migrating my app from GTK3 to GTK4 … still …
In the past days I commented here about how difficult it is with GTK4 to handle dynamical menus:

https://discourse.gnome.org/t/gtk4-and-dynamical-menus/8529

Since then, and since I cannot insert/remove/refresh menu elements at will, at least for the time being, I decided to refresh, that is recreate, the entire menu bar each time I need to do it, therefore a menu bar action can trigger the rebuild of the menu bar, but for some reason it does not work because the program freezes.
I noticed the following behavior, that I cannot explain:

• Refresh/rebuild of the menu bar from the menu bar action, freezes:

G_MODULE_EXPORT void menu_bar_action (GSimpleAction * action, GVariant * parameter, gpointer data)
    {
      // Do some action, then:
      re_create_menu_bar ();
    }

• Refresh/rebuild of the menu bar from a window called by the menu bar action, works fine:

GMainLoop * Event_loop;

G_MODULE_EXPORT void destroy_dialog (GtkDialog * dialog, gint response_id, gpointer data)
    {
      // Destroying the dialog window
      gtk_window_destroy (GTK_WINDOW(dialog));
      g_main_loop_quit (Event_loop);
    } 

G_MODULE_EXPORT void menu_bar_action (GSimpleAction * action, GVariant * parameter, gpointer data)
    {
      // Window to do some action, with MainWindow defined elsewhere:
      GtkWidget * dialog = gtk_dialog_new_with_buttons ("Menu action", MainWindow, GTK_DIALOG_MODAL | GTK_DIALOG_DESTROY_WITH_PARENT,  "Close", GTK_RESPONSE_CLOSE, NULL);
      gtk_window_set_modal (GTK_WINDOW(dialog), TRUE);
      g_signal_connect (G_OBJECT(dialog), "response", G_CALLBACK(destroy_dialog), NULL);
      gtk_widget_show (dialog);
      Event_loop = g_main_loop_new (NULL, FALSE);
      g_main_loop_run (Event_loop);

// Then refreshing the menu bar based on what happened in the dialog
      re_create_menu_bar ();
    } 

I reproduce this behavior at several points in my app.
Can anyone share some thoughts on what is going on there ?
Also I create the menu by coding, using GMenu and GMenuItem elements.

Thanks in advance.

S.

Update:

As if that wasn’t easy enough to understand I cannot debug menu action, as explained here:

https://discourse.gnome.org/t/gtk4-menus-focus-behavior-and-gdb-debugging/8697/4

So I am not able to find a way to get more information on this issue … if anyone has a clue I will gladly take it :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.