Questions about "org.gnome.mutter dynamic-workspaces"

Hi fellows,

Test 1:
Enable the dynamic-workspace first, there has been several Workspaces, When I run ‘wmctrl -n 1’, no affection at all.

Test 2:
Disable the dynamic-workspace first, there has been several Workspaces, When I run ‘wmctrl -n 1’, it has affection and the number of workspaces is only 1, all windows moving in this Workspace.

I can reproduce the above tests via ‘Wnck.Screen.get_default().change_workspace_count(N)’.

My first question is this: is the option “org.gnome.mutter dynamic-workspaces” a setting of gnome-shell itself, not included in the standard EWMH?

I remember that in the Wnck document it said that the window manager can choose to ignore the request of changing the number of Workspaces.

My second question is in the first test does the gnome-shell ignore the request of changing the number of Workspaces?

Good day.

The EWMH has nothing to do with settings. The org.gnome.mutter dynamic-workspaces is a configuration setting for Mutter/GNOME Shell. Additionally, the EWMH only applies to the X11 session, because it’s an X11 specification.

Correct: all X11 specifications describe policies, but clients (applications and window managers) are free to ignore them. The only requirement is that if they implement a specific policy, it has to conform to the EWMH specification.

Wnck is an X11-only library, so if you’re not running the X11 session, any tool based on Wnck will have no effect.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.